Terms & Conditions
Rules for Online ConductYou agree that you are responsible for your own use of the Kate Academy Site and for your User Postings. “User Postings” means all content submitted, posted, published, or distributed on the Kate Academy Site by you or other users of the Kate Academy Site, including but not limited to all forum posts, wiki edits, notes, questions, comments, videos, and file uploads. You agree that you will use the Kate Academy Site in compliance with these Agreements, and all applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations, including copyright laws, any laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from your country of residence, and all Canada export control laws. As a condition of your use of the Kate Academy Site, you will not use the this Site in any manner intended to damage, disable, overburden, or impair any our server or the network(s) connected to any server or to interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Kate Academy Site. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site, other accounts, computer systems, or networks connected to any of our server through hacking, password mining, or any other means. You may not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information stored on the Site, its servers, or associated computers through any means not intentionally made available through the Site. If you are a registered user, you will not share your password or let anyone else access or compromise your account. Furthermore, you agree not to scrape, or otherwise download in bulk, any Kate Academy Site content, including but not limited to a list or directory of users on the system, User Postings or user information, online textbooks, course materials, or trademarks and logos. You agree not to misrepresent or attempt to misrepresent your identity while using the Kate Academy Site (although you are welcome and encouraged to use an anonymous username in the forums and to act in a manner that keeps your identity concealed).
Accuracy, completeness and timeliness of informationWe are not responsible if information made available on this site is not accurate, complete or current. The material on this site is provided for general information only and should not be relied upon or used as the sole basis for making decisions without consulting primary, more accurate, more complete or more timely sources of information. Any reliance on the material on this site is at your own risk. This site may contain certain historical information. Historical information, necessarily, is not current and is provided for your reference only. We reserve the right to modify the contents of this site at any time, but we have no obligation to update any information on our site. You agree that it is your responsibility to monitor changes to our site.
Modifications to the service and pricesPrices for our products are subject to change without notice. We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue the Service (or any part or content thereof) without notice at any time. We shall not be liable to you or to any third-party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
Accuracy of billing and account informationWe reserve the right to refuse any order you place with us. We may, in our sole discretion, limit or cancel quantities purchased per person, per household or per order. These restrictions may include orders placed by or under the same customer account, the same credit card, and/or orders that use the same billing and/or shipping address. In the event that we make a change to or cancel an order, we may attempt to notify you by contacting the e-mail and/or billing address/phone number provided at the time the order was made. We reserve the right to limit or prohibit orders that, in our sole judgment, appear to be placed by dealers, resellers or distributors. You agree to provide current, complete and accurate purchase and account information for all purchases made at our store. You agree to promptly update your account and other information, including your email address and credit card numbers and expiration dates, so that we can complete your transactions and contact you as needed.
Third-party linksCertain content, products and services available via our Service may include materials from third parties. Third-party links on this site or any of our other sites may direct you to third-party websites that are not affiliated with us. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating the content or accuracy and we do not warrant and will not have any liability or responsibility for any third-party materials or websites, or for any other materials, products, or services of third-parties. We are not liable for any harm or damages related to the purchase or use of goods, services, resources, content, or any other transactions made in connection with any third-party websites. Please review carefully the third-party’s policies and practices and make sure you understand them before you engage in any transaction. Complaints, claims, concerns, or questions regarding third-party products should be directed to the third-party.
User comments, feedback, artwork and other submissionsIf, at our request, you send certain specific submissions (for example contest entries or artwork produced and submitted to our courses) or without a request from us you send creative ideas, artwork produced and submitted to our courses, suggestions, proposals, plans, or other materials, whether online, by email, by postal mail, or otherwise (collectively, ‘comments’), you agree that we may, at any time, without restriction, edit, copy, publish, distribute, translate and otherwise use in any medium any comments/artwork that you forward/upload to us. We are and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any comments in confidence; (2) to pay compensation for any comments; or (3) to respond to any comments. We may, but have no obligation to, monitor, edit or remove content that we determine in our sole discretion are unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s intellectual property or these Terms of Service. You agree that your comments will not violate any right of any third-party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, personality or other personal or proprietary right. You further agree that your comments will not contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, abusive or obscene material, or contain any computer virus or other malware that could in any way affect the operation of the Service or any related website. You may not use a false e-mail address, pretend to be someone other than yourself, or otherwise mislead us or third parties as to the origin of any comments. You are solely responsible for any comments you make and their accuracy. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for any comments posted by you or any third-party.
Errors, inaccuracies and omissionsOccasionally there may be information on our site or in the Service that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, promotions, offers, product shipping charges, transit times and availability. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and to change or update information or cancel orders if any information in the Service or on any related website is inaccurate at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order). We undertake no obligation to update, amend or clarify information in the Service or on any related website, including without limitation, pricing information, except as required by law. No specified update or refresh date applied in the Service or on any related website, should be taken to indicate that all information in the Service or on any related website has been modified or updated.
Strictly prohibited usesTHE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED ON KATE ACADEMY SITE:
- Content that defames, harasses or threatens others;
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them;
- Content that infringes another’s intellectual property, including, but not limited to, copyrights or trademarks;
- Profane, pornographic, obscene, indecent or unlawful content;
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation;
- Content related to partisan political activities;
- Viruses, trojan horses, worms, time bombs, corrupted files, malware, spyware, or any other similar software that may damage the operation of another’s computer or property; and
- Content that contains intentionally inaccurate information or that is posted with the intent of misleading others (this list, collectively, “Strictly Prohibited Items”).
SeverabilityIn the event that any provision of these Terms of Service is determined to be unlawful, void or unenforceable, such provision shall nonetheless be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and the unenforceable portion shall be deemed to be severed from these Terms of Service, such determination shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any other remaining provisions.
TrademarksThe “Kate Language”, “Kate Academy” names, logos and seals are trademarks (“Trademarks”) of the respective entities. You may not use any of these Trademarks, or any variations thereof, without the owner’s prior written consent. You may not use any of these Trademarks, or any variations thereof, for promotional purposes, or in any way that deliberately or inadvertently claims, suggests or, in the owner’s sole judgment, gives the appearance or impression of a relationship with or endorsement by the owner. All Trademarks not owned by Kate Language or the Members that appear on this Site or on or through the services made available on or through this Site, if any, are the property of their respective owners. Nothing contained on the Kate Academy Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on this Site without the written permission of the owner of the applicable Trademark.
TerminationYou agree that Kate Academy, in its sole discretion, may terminate your use of this site or your participation in it, for any reason or no reason, upon notice to you. It is Kate Academy’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances the accounts of users of the Site who are repeat copyright infringers. Kate Academy reserves the right at any time in their sole discretion to cancel, delay, reschedule or alter the format of any course offered through this Site or to cease providing any part or all of the Site content or related services, and you agree that Kate Academy will not have any liability to you for such an action. If you no longer desire to participate in the Site, you may terminate your participation at any time. The rights granted to you hereunder will terminate upon any termination of your right to use the Site, but the other provisions of the Agreements will survive any such termination.
Entire agreementThe failure of us to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. These Terms of Service and any policies or operating rules posted by us on this site or in respect to The Service constitutes the entire agreement and understanding between you and us and govern your use of the Service, superseding any prior or contemporaneous agreements, communications and proposals, whether oral or written, between you and us (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms of Service). Any ambiguities in the interpretation of these Terms of Service shall not be construed against the drafting party.
Governing lawThese Terms of Service and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Canada Law.
Kate Academy is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices.
Information that Kate Academy collects from you (including personal information)
- sign up for a Kate Academy user account and create an user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product of service;
- send email messages to Kate Academy
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Kate Academy Site.
Kate Academy also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
Kate Academy does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the Kate Academy Site, you will be directed to Kate Academy’s third-party payment processor and Kate Academy’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to purchase products or service via the Site.
Cookies And Tracking Technologies on the Kate Academy Site
- based on your cookie settings, Kate Academy tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the Kate Academy Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- Kate Academy may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use Kate Academy native mobile apps) you used when accessing the Site, and Kate Academy may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- Kate Academy may track and collect information from emails that Site sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
Kate Academy also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the Site, how you interact with Kate Academy’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the Site. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the Kate Academy Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help Kate Academy and Members gather information about how visitors use the Site and monitor Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling Kate Academy and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with Kate Academy or Member advertisements or content. Kate Academy and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by Kate Academy or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help Kate Academy and Members track this information.
How your information is used
Operate and improve the Site
– This includes creating and improving features that support the Kate Academy community and enable the Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
Create, administer, provide, and teach courses
– This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on Kate Academy. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
Offer and improve products and services
– This includes enabling you to navigate the Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the Site.
Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Site
– This includes tracking Kate Academy Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the Site.
Communicate with you
– This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and Kate Academy Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of Kate Academy or affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education
– This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
Track Kate Academy Site usage against goals and mission
– This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations
– This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Kate Academy, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
Kate Academy or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
How your information is shared
Kate Academy shares information with third parties for the following purposes:
With service providers, contractors, and other third parties that help carry out the uses described above
With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the Kate Academy Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information
– This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, Kate Academy may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
Kate Academy may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, Kate Academy may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.